We eight kids like to potter around productively...Mama wants to remember these delightful days when we have all grown up and left home, so we are creating a record for her.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Needle Natter

(K8's thoughts today)
Last year Mama learnt to knit and I wanted to aswell. For ages I busied myself with plaiting wool (Dadda got a bit annoyed at times with all the plaits that somehow dropped around the house). Then I taught myself to crochet chains. That was much quicker than plaiting! Finally, after I had really tried for a few weeks with bamboo skewers, Mama put her needles down and helped me with mine. Once I got going it was so easy! Now I can use circulars too.
I got the PERFECT birthday present this year. It was a basket to keep all my knitting things in - and it was full of wool and new needles and a knit-a-teddy-bear-kit. Well, none of that was actually *new* because we are doing homemade or recycled gifts this year - but it was all more than I could have hoped for!

Now that I can knit and crochet and embroider, I really want to learn to sew - using the machine!! I'm going to make gift bags out of Christmas material so we reduce our waste at Christmas-time. Mama says that will be a good thing to start with and she's got lots of material for me to practise on.
While I wait to learn, I've got a BEAUTIFUL sewing book out of the library. It is just right for anyone who is just learning to sew by hand. I love the illustrations and would like to make some of the projects too.


3 comments:

Sharonnz said...

K8...that book looks lovely. Would you believe I already have it on my Amazon Wish List because I love the illustrations. I'm sure Maggie & I would have a lot of fun with it!

skatey katie said...

hello K8
i was thinking that book looks absolutely fabulous too, and what a great idea to DIY christmas wrapping bags...
well done on the knitting too. i am too impatient to knit. cos the end result doesn't happen fast enough for me... i prefer sewing..
how about you post some photos of your finished knitting articles??
:o) love k37 xx

Rosie said...

Hello K8...I, too, was thinking that book looks like one a girl I know, would love! You have done so well with all your crafty 'bits'. I'm a bit like k37....knitting is too slow for me, I much prefer zooming on the sewing machine!! Look forward to seeing what you create. Love R